Sweet Rolls Recipe
Ingredients for Dough
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 2 small packets dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups of flour
Ingredients for Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
For spreading on dough before sprinkling on filling.
1/2 cup soft butter
Sweet Rolls ~ with cinnamon and brown sugar filling. A great 'comfort food', especially when warm right out of the oven. But even after they have cooled, they can still put a smile on your face, even on a 'gloomy nothing is going right' kind of day!
- Mix together: 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt,1/2 cup butter (or margarine).
- Place above ingredients in small saucepan. Heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool until lukewarm.
- Dissolve 2 small packets dry yeast in 1/3 cup warm water in a warm mixer bowl.
- Beat 3 eggs lightly and then add the eggs to the milk mixture.
- Add milk mixture with the beaten eggs to the yeast mixture in the mixer bowl. Mix ingredients.
- Gradually add 5 cups of flour to the mixture in the bowl. Using a dough hook, knead the dough about 2 minutes in the mixer or until the dough cleans from the sides of the bowl. (Here you have to use your judgment, may need more or less flour. Consistency of the dough should be soft and light and moist, not thick or heavy or dry.)
- Remove dough from mixer ( Flour your hands before doing this so the dough doesn't stick to them). Knead dough by hand into a rounded ball on a floured surface. Place the dough ball in a greased bowl in a warm location. Cover with a towel. Let dough rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough in the bowl.Remove and roll out on a floured surface to a 10" X 24" rectangle.
- Spread the 1/2 of soft butter on the dough rectangle.
- Spread the dry mix filling on top of the buttered dough rectangle.
- Roll up the dough rectangle. Cut into 1" slices or wider if you want bigger rolls. Place cut dough slices in pans to rise (in a warm draft free location).
- After rolls rise, bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Farenheight until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven. While cooling and still warm spread powdered sugar/ milk mixture (frosting) on top. (Just put about 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl and add the powdered sugar until the mixture reaches desired consistency for spreading)